Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Plugged or Unplugged? Given the Choice, Will Kids Opt for a Balanced Summer?

I share some of the concerns Jenny has about her kids and the easy/constant access to electronics, although I tend to take a somewhat less black and white stance. My house is pretty wired (or unwired these days, although not in the electronics-free sense). It always has been. I'm a bit of a gadget guy and that appreciation for electronic gear was readily adopted by my children. I don't think there's a room in the house that is completely electronics free ? there's even a WiFi repeater taking up an unused electrical outlet in one of the bathrooms. We have a full suite of video game consoles, they each have iPads, iPods and there is a computer set up in their playroom. We've had a lot of fun together playing games, watching videos and listening to music; I don't have any issue with our kids having access to electronics or in their using them. But I also believe in balance, so we've always ensured there are bins of Lego, Star Wars action figures, board games and plenty of other physical toys available. Sports are encouraged and they play organized soccer and volley ball.

gerber collision az

No comments:

Post a Comment